[ODE] some quick notes on 0.6...

Martijn buijs512 at planet.nl
Tue Jul 4 05:34:07 MST 2006

gcarlton at iinet.net.au wrote:
>> You can find both my patch and test_heightfield at my quickly knocked
>> up page here:
>>
>> http://hidden.asbestos.googlepages.com/
>>
>> I hope this can be integrated into SVN because in my opinion it's a
>> usable enough to benefit a great number of people.
>>
>> If anyone has any questions, as i've probably missed out something in
>> this mail, then fire away!
>>
>> Regards,
>> David Walters

Excellent work there David. :)

Any chance you looked into the issue of the extra row of 'invisible'
samples along the borders of non-wrapped terrains?

> I've just had a browse of the patch, and I'm impressed.  Looks like a lot of
> work has been put into this.
>
> As the example code shows, the z-up is as trivial as:
>   dMatrix3 R;
>   dRSetIdentity( R );
>   dRFromAxisAndAngle( R, 1, 0, 0, DEGTORAD * 90 );
>   dGeomSetRotation( gheight, R );
>
> To make it even easier, we may want provide the rotation directly:
>   const dMatrix3* dGetHeightfieldZUpRotation();

While I think the example code should be sufficient,
dGetHeightfieldZUpRotation may be useful, but perhaps should be
generalized as addition to the ODE support functions (i.e
dGetZUpRotation) for other/future applications?

> Regardless, I'm definitely looking forward to this being in SVN.
>
> Thanks,
> Geoff

Agreed.

Martijn