[ODE] springs

Thompson, Randy AMRDEC/SAIC randy.thompson5 at us.army.mil
Mon Jan 30 09:10:51 MST 2006

I replied to this last Friday but I never saw my reply appear.  I'm sure
I did something wrong, so I will try again.

I use a Hinge2 for wheels on a vehicle.  I set the suspension parameters
using the equations for ERP and CFM in the documentation along with a
bit of knowledge of mass-spring equations.  The code looks something
like this.

K = spring constant
D = damping coefficient
H = ODE time step
R = 2.0 * D * sqrt(sprungMass * K)
ERP = (H * K) / (H * K + R)
CFM = 1.0 / (H * K + R)

This effectively decouples the spring and damping coefficients so they
can be set independently.  Changing either ERP or CFM independently
affects both damping and the spring constant making it very difficult to
get the desired result.

I hope this is what you were looking for.

Randy

Floris