[ODE] Trimesh problems

Anders Olofsson anders.olofsson at biologigrand.ac
Tue Jan 10 18:00:31 MST 2006

The orginal dem/heightmap had 4470*2559 points, it would translate to
almost 23 millions triangles. Maybe it could be done with a heightmap now,
I dont know.

But there are other reasons too, I wanted to have a detailed coastline, the
heightgrid resolution is 30 arc seconds, about 500-900 meters, not so
detailed. And I also project the heightmap data (longitude/latitude ->
orthographic), so the heightmap is not spaced regulary.

The heightmap is pretty flat at places so after I have optimized it,
projected it and clipped out only the landmass (getting a coastline) its
only about 0.6 millions of triangles.

Basically I'm converting this dem:
http://www.biologigrand.ac/lgh255/dem.jpg

to this mesh:
http://www.biologigrand.ac/lgh255/shot.jpg

Maybe you can spot where on earth it is?!, I actually live somewhere on the
green thing. :)

But since it was orginally a heightmap some properties of the map applies
to the mesh. No overhangs (folded geometry) for example.. So I can find out
wich triangle is right below a point and then check for collision with that
point and the plane that the triangle lies on. Maybe that would work..
Think I'll try.

--Anders Olofsson