[ODE] FastStep Vs QuickStep

Antonio_Martini@scee.net Antonio_Martini at scee.net
Tue Jan 10 03:25:00 MST 2006

the discussion of the continuous physics forum below seems to imply that
faststep(propagation method) and quickstep(Projected Gauss Seidel) should
be theoretical equivalent in terms of convergence rate and stability.
However it seems that this is not the case in practice in ODE. Maybe
faststep has still a few bugs or it is incomplete?

http://www.continuousphysics.com/Bullet/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=208

Antonio Martini
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe
http://www.scee.com

Bram Stolk <bram at sara.nl>
Sent by: ode-bounces at q12.org
10/01/2006 07:35

ode at q12.org
cc

Subject
Re: [ODE] Trimesh problems

Anders Olofsson wrote:
> That doesn't sound right. Why would I want to push it towards some
edge?.
> Me hacking code in ODE is like monkey do brainsurgery. Funny but none
will
> survive. Well, I'll try.. Did you allways use the triangles normal
instead
> of normal pointing towards some edge?. I don't immediately see how this
> applies to jumpy spheres on large triangles though. Did you modify
> something more in the trimesh/sphere code?.

I still think you should switch to UNSTABLE, look at this diff:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/opende/ode/ode/src/collision_trimesh_sphere.cpp?r1=1.7&r2=1.7.2.2

  Bram

--
Bram Stolk, VR Engineer SARA, Amsterdam.   tel +31 20 592 3000

"Windows is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit graphical shell for an 8-bit
 operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor by a 2-bit
 company that can't stand 1 bit of competition."

postmaster at scee.net

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for all known viruses.

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe