[ODE] Minas Tirith project release now with physics

Flavien Brebion f.brebion at vrcontext.com
Sun Jan 8 10:08:26 MST 2006

Greetings,

I've released a new version of the Minas Tirith project now with
physics. The Minas Tirith project is a collaborative project started on
cgtalk.com, which aims at modelling and recreating the famous city of
the Lord of the Rings movie. As the programmer of the team, my goal is
to make a real-time viewer able to render this very complex model ( 5
millions triangles ), including collision detection and physics for the
first-person walking mode.

Because of the complexity of the model, it has some pretty high system
requirements:
- a good CPU ( 2 Ghz min. )
- RAM: at least 1 GB;
- GPU: at least 128 MB video ram ( Radeon 9800+, Geforce 5700+ ).

It can be downloaded on the official website:
http://www.minastirith-project.com/

Physics have of course been implemented using ODE ( i wouldn't be
posting on this NG else ). There are over 360 triangle meshes, most
being in the 10 000s polys range. There's around 50 dynamic bodies,
generally boxes, to handle statues, candle holders, props, etc.. I've
also added a cannonball ( left mouse button ) to throw some spheres, see
them roll down slopes, staircases, etc..

Videos are available for people who cannot run the real-time viewer:
- High Quality ( 50 MB Divx 4 ):
http://www.fl-tw.com/Minas-Tirith/MinasTirith_physics_2.avi
- Low Quality ( 25 MB Divx 4 ):
http://www.minastirithproject.com/MinasTirith_physics_3.avi

Note that sometimes, some spheres are passing through walls, i'm not
sure why yet.

F. Brebion