[ODE] asymmetry in simulation

Bill Sellers wis at mac.com
Wed Jan 4 03:13:18 MST 2006

Dear Kay,

Sounds about par of the course to me. You'll always get small
numerical errors and there are order of calculation effects that mean
you won't get exactly the same values (and I assume the limbs of your
character contact the ground at some point and so will generate
contact forces that will certainly be different and will cause small
perturbations from symmetry). I'd say this was unavoidable and the
best solution is to make sure that it doesn't matter. If your
character is basically stable then these values should remain small
(e.g. a walking biped with big feet). If your character is unstable
(e.g. dynamic gait) then you will need some sort of control system to
alter the gait to compensate otherwise they will rapidly become very
large - quite a tricky problem actually although if you are not
bothered too much by realism you can just use some sort of tether to
an invisible sky hook or constrain trunk motion appropriately.

Cheers
Bill