[ODE] adhesive strength of Hingejoint

Patrick Oppermann@gmx.de patrick.oppermann at gmx.de
Sun Feb 26 07:20:41 MST 2006

Hi!
I am  working on a virtual assembly arm (with the jMonkeyEngine and
jmePhysics), which basically consists of boxes connected by
JointHinge objects.

The Problem is that the arm is always sagging down because of its own
weight as soon as it is stopped by setting the hinge’s velocity to 0.
Neither reducing the mass solves the problem, nor does increasing the
torque.

Is there a way to stabilize the arm when it is not moving? Is there a
specific ode parameter that controls the ‚grip’, the adhesive
strength of the Joint? I couldn’t find any yet.

I tried to stabilize it by setting the Hinge’s minAngle and maxAngle
stops to its current rotation angle (plus/minus a little tolerance)
when it is stopped. Unluckily the Joint seems to be reset completely
by dJointSetHingeParam() with the parameter dParamVel. Is that so?

greetings
Patrick