[ODE] Premake build system added to CVS

J. Perkins starkos at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 18:52:29 MST 2006

It took me a lot longer than I had anticipated (it usually does), but
I just checked an experimental build system into CVS. It is based on
Premake (http://premake.sourceforge.net/) and is located in the
contrib/Premake directory.  There is a README in that directory with
directions.

Premake is a small command-line executable that reads a script and
generates project files for various compilers and IDEs. Because it is
script-based it can also do some configuration work as well.

Refer to the README for complete instructions, but the basic idea is:

  $ cd ode/contrib/Premake
  $ premake --target vs2005

This will create a Visual Studio 2005 solution and project files. The
default build is a static library with trimesh and cylinder support
using double precision math. You can build a shared library with
Visual C++ 6 like:

  $ premake --dll --target vs6

For single precision math, the sample programs, and unit tests on Cygwin:

  $ premake --no-double --with-samples --with-tests --target gnu

You can see a complete list of supported tools and build options with:

  $ premake --help

I've tested these scripts with Visual C++ 6 (vs6), Visual Studio 2002
(vs2002), 2003 (vs2003), 2005 Standard and Express Edition (vs2005) as
well as GNU make/gcc (gnu) under Linux (Ubuntu) and Cygwin. Premake
claims support for MacOS X and BSD but I don't have access to those
platforms for testing. I'm looking into getting support for
Code::Blocks into the next version of Premake.

I am trying to make this all work without the configurator or any
other external programs. As a result there are probably plenty of
places it won't work yet. I'd appreciate feedback so I can keep
improving the scripts.

Thanks,

Jason