[ODE] Brakes and rotational damping

Chris Ledwith cledwith at d-a-s.com
Thu Feb 9 16:27:37 MST 2006

Matthew Harmon wrote:
> believe braking power is mostly irrespective of rotational velocity (except
> for heat build-up and material properties which I am not modeling.)  So,
> instead, we apply a constant counter-torque (scaled by brake pressure) and
> check for reversal... i.e. brakes are locked.  I didn’t really see another
> way around that, but would love some other ideas.  It always feels wrong
> when checking for sign reversal, etc.

Right ,and I don't see a problem with that. If it helps, don't think of
it as watching for a sign change -- you are simply trying to reach a
target velocity (in this case zero). Of course, it's likely to be
reached "in-between" timesteps, so you will have to clamp to your target
velocity when you "overshoot".

-C