[ODE] Brakes and rotational damping

Matthew Harmon matt at ev-interactive.com
Thu Feb 9 10:23:42 MST 2006

We need to control the wheel via "real" variable torque inputs.  The
velocity-controlled system of the AMotor doesn't jive with reality in that
sense.  That's one reason why the "basic" car samples floating around the
web don't really do us much good.

I guess my real question boils down to this:  Is there anything
fundamentally "wrong" with taking the angular velocity of a body, reducing
it, and putting it back?  It seems like a kludge, but that sort of how
brakes work in the real world.  They don't apply a "counter-torque" as such,
they bleed off momentum into heat.