[ODE] new user

Bill Sellers wis at mac.com
Sun Feb 5 14:56:12 MST 2006

Well yes and no. The advantage of using ODE straight is that you can
make it very lightweight and it can run without any graphics at all.
During the learning phases for your legged robot you may not be
interesting in seeing what happens - you may just want to run the
simulation a lot of times. I do my simulations on a beowulf cluster
and graphics libraries aren't even installed on the nodes so bare ODE
is the way to go for me. The drawstuff code is adequate if you don't
need much user interaction and it's so easy to see what's going on
that if/when you need to do something else it's very easy to modify.

However you asked about alternatives. Dynamechs has a multilegged
walking robot as a demo and might be worth a look. Saying that I
prefer ODE and it can certainly cope with legged locomotion. You can
have a look at this movie (but it's pretty slow to load so go away
and make a cup of tea):

http://homepage.mac.com/wis/ASL/Projects/Elastic%20Mechanisms/index.html

Cheers
Bill