[ODE] How to compute local yaw, pitch and roll

Alex Green alexg at acfr.usyd.edu.au
Wed Dec 27 21:00:18 MST 2006

G'day, from the rotation matrix:

// Find Roll Pitch and Yaw
// Rotation Matrix then convert to Euler Angles
dReal *R = (dReal *) dBodyGetRotation(body->bodyID);
roll  = atan2(R[9], R[10]);	//phi
pitch = asin(-R[8]);		//theta
yaw   = atan2(R[4], R[0]);	//greek Y

P.S. Double check the numbers coming out of this for your implementation.
One of the variables may need a to be negated depending on which way you
choose as forward. -alex