[ODE] ODE and the STL

Daniel K. O. danielko.listas at gmail.com
Mon Dec 25 15:07:31 MST 2006

2006/12/25, Jon Watte (ODE) <hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org>:
> Within ODE, memory is allocated using dALLOC() right now. If there's a
> dependency on the STL, then memory will be allocated in all kinds of
> contexts, including static start-up, and possibly including
> non-thread-safe contexts (have been bitten several times by this).

[...]

> STL is great for a self-contained application, where you control all the
> variables. However, the C++ linkage model, especially on Linux, sucks
> for anything resembling separately compiled SDKs/libraries.

I'll research a bit about your claims then; but I still doubt that the
STL implementations will cause general problems. Let's not forget we
were talking about containers and algorithms; not the mess that are
std::string, iostream, etc. It's not any different from writing a
bunch of template containers by hand.

> Note that my judgement is not drawn from ivory tower good wishes for
> best practices and goodwill unto men; they are drawn from shipping real
> software SDKs on multiple platforms for the last ten years.

I'm sorry, I think I wasn't too polite in my previous messages. I know
you guys made fabulous contribution to ODE, and know much more about
it than me. But I was expecting more solid arguments against STL. I
think I'll be much more convincing with numbers, so I'll try to put
together a (big) patch.

--
Daniel K. O.