[ODE] ODE and the STL

Daniel K. O. danielko.listas at gmail.com
Mon Dec 25 06:50:35 MST 2006

2006/12/25, Bram Stolk <bram at sara.nl>:
> Personally, I think this is bad.
> I like STL, but its place is in the high level app, not in the lib.

Well, that's a personal opinion that should be respected. The
developer who contributed thinks otherwise. I disagree with you in the
sense that ODE have a bunch of high level code; iterating, sorting,
prunning... tasks that require non-trivial algorithms, that somebody
may create a new efficient approach and try to plug into the library.

> A list is trivially coded in C++, a vector is a bit trickier, depending
> on how you use the vector in your app.

Both of them are tricky if you want to do them right. Let's not suffer
from Not Invented Here syndrome. Everybody here know how to implement
data structures and algorithms (or at least know where to look for
references); that's easy. The hard part is to make it compatible, fast
and flexible. Can you garantee that the trivially implemented
list/vector inside ODE is faster than the STL?

--
Daniel K. O.