[ODE] ODE and the STL

Daniel K. O. danielko.listas at gmail.com
Sun Dec 24 16:07:33 MST 2006

2006/12/24, David Walters <hidden.asbestos at googlemail.com>:
> Hi, I'm writing to gauge opinion on whether STL should be prevented
> from becoming a depency for ODE.

Let the STL come in. It's almost 2007 now, it's hard to think that
broken STLs are still a problem. At least, none of the target
platforms that I'm concerned have any problem with STL.

Your argument on the bug tracker is too vague. Would you mind citing
some of those platforms where STL is undesirable or broken?

> ps. I've attached simpler list and array (vector) classes from my own
> engine to the patch so that some middle ground could be reached if
> dynamic arrays and lists are really needed.

Well, if you make it have the same interface as STL, I see no problem
providing it as a configure-time fallback for STL-less systems. But I
don't think it's feasible to maintain it, as once the STL is used
somewhere, there's nothing preventing it from going to other places.
I'll happily contribute with patches to make ODE more STL-friendly.

--
Daniel K. O.