[ODE] New release?

Jason Perkins starkos at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 12:59:49 MST 2006

On 12/21/06, erwin at erwincoumans.com <erwin at erwincoumans.com> wrote:
> Indeed. Other libraries like Bullet and SOLID have the same issue, and
> require a #define to enable double precision. Usually an application needs
> either one or the other, not both at the same time.

I was the one who originally suggested the idea. In my application
(and I doubt I'm alone in this) I don't care about the physics
precision, I always use floats. For some uses of my application, I
want dReal to be float, for others double. dReal bleeds up into
anything that touches the physics code, which IMHO is annoying.

The other part of that conversation was that dReal is used
/everywhere/ in ODE, even in places where double precision doesn't
matter, like quaternions and box lengths. It would be nice if the
precision were only used where it mattered. Especially in the
collision detection code where, for example, it took a long time to
get all of the OPCODE float/double issues worked out.

Jason