[ODE] New release?

Fredrik Sandstrom fredrik.sandstrom at oryx.se
Thu Dec 21 00:17:54 MST 2006

Why would you want to change the API in that way?

For graphics programming it makes sense to choose the format of the
underlying data but for physics programming you might want to switch
from float to double or vice versa just to try out stability issues.
Changing a define and recompile is much better (imho) than having to
change all function calls.

What would happen if you intermingle float and double precision
commands, wouldn't half of the commands just be doing type conversions?
How would you chose what precision the underlying engine is using (still
with a define?)

Perhaps you just mean to add separate functions with f/d suffixes that
do automatic data type conversion to the underlying engine type? I can
see some reasons to extend the API but not to remove the current way of
easily going between float and double precision without changing
application code. Perhaps there is some previous discussions of the
topic? I couldn't find a search interface for the mailing list, sorry.

/Fredde

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 21:38, Rodrigo Hernandez wrote:
> No objections here, I've been thinking about doing the change from dual
> float point compilations to OpenGL like suffixes
> (f for float arguments,d for double), which would radically change the
> API, so a new release is a very good idea.
>
> I am also thinking about the switch from static collision detection to a
> dynamic one.
>
> Jason Perkins wrote:
> > Erwin Coumans would like to start working on integrating ODE and the
> > Bullet continuous collision library. Since this work might take a
> > while, I believe it makes sense to push out a new release of ODE
> > before he starts. Are there any objections? Is there anything that
> > really needs to be done before a new release?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jason
Fredrik Sandström
Oryx Simulations AB