[ODE] Physics Engines comparisons and benchmarks

Vangelis_Kokkevis@PlayStation.Sony.com Vangelis_Kokkevis at PlayStation.Sony.com
Wed Dec 20 16:28:08 MST 2006

I would not write off AGEIA's PhysX SDK quite that quickly!  If nothing
else, the win32 version is free!  In addition to that, there are optimized
implementations of PhysX for two of the three major game consoles (PS3 and
XBOX 360) which is very convenient for developers who care about
cross-platform compatibility.  Sure, you don't get source code, but what
you do get is an optimized engine which is the product of several
man-years of engineering, tuning and QA.  Having met some of the engineers
in that team (and I know that at least one of them is lurking somewhere in
this list) I can assure you that they are bright people and they know what
they are doing.  BTW, I'm sure Havok is a great engine too for a lot of
the same reasons.

Cheers,
Vangelis

Erwin Coumans wrote:
> [...]
> I've never seen a long term future for Ageia, and having worked on Havok
and
> Bullet, I would say Havok is the best if you can/want to afford it, and
open
> source (Bullet & ODE) second.
> [...]

Vangelis Kokkevis