[ODE] Physics Engines comparisons and benchmarks

erwin@erwincoumans.com erwin at erwincoumans.com
Wed Dec 20 07:49:17 MST 2006

Agreed, it would be useful to have some standard benchmark/test for
different areas indeed. I think COLLADA Physics files can help for that.

My main point was that in my opinion it is open source versus proprietary
physics engines. ODE and Bullet are both frameworks with many contributions,
some of them are shared already: both include GIMPACT and quickstep. Any
feature that lacks in one of them can be added to the other (Zlib and BSD
are very comparible/compatible). So if stiff motors are your focus: ODE's
Dantzig might be one option (but it has stability drawbacks), or you might
want to push me for adding a Featherstone-with-motors contribution to
Bullet. A good thing about ODE as a whole is its API and community. That API
has been ported to many languages/frameworks, including Java, Python etc.

In proprietary/closed source I think Havok is superior to anything out
there, but they focus on commercial game companies, not individuals.

There are some old physics comparison tests by Chris Hecker and Jeff Lander.
It might be a good starting point for setting up tests.
Cheers,
Erwin