[ODE] Physics Engines comparisons and benchmarks

Erwin Coumans erwin at erwincoumans.com
Tue Dec 19 22:53:10 MST 2006

ODE should be faster then Newton for average to large stacks/simulations.
Recently I've compared Bullet physics engine running in the C4 game engine,
next to a Newton integration.
Newton was much slower, due to non-linear solver. ODE quickstep is currently
a bit faster then Bullet's sequential impulse solver, but Bullet has better
convex collision detection (which is not really an issue, they are both open
source, and Bullet collision detection will be added as an option to ODE.).
I've never seen a long term future for Ageia, and having worked on Havok and
Bullet, I would say Havok is the best if you can/want to afford it, and open
source (Bullet & ODE) second.

You can read a very recent discussion with the Newton main programmer Julio
Jerez here:
"Interesting, bit outdated Physics Engine comparison paper"
http://www.continuousphysics.com/Bullet/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=755

Erwin Coumans
http://bulletphysics.com