[ODE] I´m totally unhappy with ODE ... Please Help me

Martijn Buijs buijs512 at planet.nl
Sat Dec 16 06:55:27 MST 2006

Lode Vanacken wrote:
> I just recently replaced our collision engine with ODE as a first step to
> move towards physics integration. I am also using GIMPACT and I don't
> have any problems at all.
>
> For drawing, what are you drawing? Are you using the ODE geoms or you
> own structure? I would
> suggest to draw both, this way you can see if they are aligned or not. I
> had problems with my vertex stride
> and so on, I know you have tested it in an example, but to make sure and
> as you are rather desperate I would
> try this. Some example code for drawing to get you started:
>
>> for(int j = 0; j < dGeomTriMeshGetTriangleCount(geomObj); j++)
>> {
>>                 dVector3 p1, p2, p3;
>>                 dGeomTriMeshGetTriangle( geomObj, j, &p1, &p2, &p3 );
>>                 //DrawTriangle Code
>> }
>

> Greetings,
> Lode

What I've done in the past with a similar problem:

Drop lots and lots of spheres (or other primitives) around in the world (I used a build-in particle
system). Disable them once they collide with something. Then render the particles positions as
GL_POINTS. This way you can determine the actual orientation of a collider (geom) visually.

Martijn