[ODE] ODE slow on itanium?

Bill Sellers wis at mac.com
Wed Dec 6 05:35:06 MST 2006

Well gcc is certainly part of the problem. I've just recompiled
everything using Intel's own icc and icpc using the -fast flag and it
is quicker but it is still pretty slow. It was 3 times slower than
the Opteron with gcc, now its only twice as slow which is still
pretty disappointing (to me, since my University has just invested in
a great big multiprocessor cluster based on itanium chips). I've also
tried adding the -ftz flag which flushes denormals to zero on i64
systems (according to the icc man page anyway) but it makes almost no
difference at all so it's not that in my case.

Cheers
Bill