[ODE] ODE slow on itanium?

Andreas Fredriksson deplinenoise at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 12:38:15 MST 2006

On 12/3/06, Bill Sellers <wis at mac.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've just been doing some benchmarking of my simulation on various
> processors and they all behave about as I expect except for a truly
> dreadful showing on a recent 1.6GHz Itanium system. It's over 3 times
> slower than an Opteron 252 which is hardly cutting edge anymore, and
> over twice as slow as the Xeon 5160 in my MacPro. They are all
> compiled with gcc using the standard "-O3 -ffastmath" options. Anyone
> got any idea what's wrong since I don't think the Itanium should be
> this slow...

Make sure you're not gettig denormals propagating through your
simulation; from what I've heard they're very slow on Itanium. They're
also very slow on AMD and Intel hardware, unless by chance the
precision of the simulation is different enough that you're only
seeing the problem on the Itanium box.

Good luck,
Andreas

--