[ODE] degrees of freedom in a slider - other joint types

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Thu Aug 31 15:01:01 MST 2006

STenyaK (Bruno Gonzalez) wrote:
> Using 1d joints, that would be reduced to 420 joints and 285 bodies. I'd
> love to have that joint available in ODE, since my cpu is already
> struggling with just one car on screen, and it doesn't even have the whole
> suspensions modelled (just 5 joints and 5 bodies per suspension).

What do you mean by "struggling" ? 5 joints and 5 bodies should do
nothing. If you hook them all to the chassis, you get a 21 body island,
which is a little more work, but no CPU built in the last 5 years should
be "struggling" with that, by any means, at least if you're sticking to
reasonable update rates (60-100 Hz) and handle collision well (no
self-collisions, etc). And using a release library build :-) Maybe with
dWorldStep(), it being O(N^3) in island size and everything, but is
anybody still using that?

I haven't actually measured the CPU usage of RayCar, but it's bound to
be minimal. Of course, that's a smaller system.

Cheers,

          / h+