[ODE] ODE world stepping + TOI based collision detection problem

Roland Plüss roland at rptd.dnsalias.net
Thu Aug 24 04:56:22 MST 2006

> It is fairly simple to integrate time-of-impact with ODE that brute-force
> steps to smallest time of impact. I did this a few years ago, and I will
> have to search for the small change. I will find the patch and give you an
> update.
> A more suble approach for continuous physics would require changes in island
> management. This is one of the reasons why I started the Bullet Physics
> Library. Its CCD is work in progress.

hehe, so you are the guy behind this. just dropped over the project page
a couple of days ago trying to get an overview of physics libs around at
the time beeing.
> With a very minor change in code, you can let ODE integrate the position
> based on a fraction of the timestep (deltatime),
> where the fraction is in interval [0..1]. Default is 1, which means it steps
> the full deltatime. This might be enough for you.

that's kinda what i had in mind though it requires back-stepping ( as
ODE doesn't allow to 'think ahead' or i could not manage to force it to
do so ). hence i would need to step by delta 1 and if things hit i need
to step back. doing so though results in a dead-loop that never ends.
could not figure out so far what's the problem but not using ODE ( but
TOI ) results in no dead-loop. :/

--

Leader and Head Programmer
- Game: Epsylon ( http://epsylon.rptd.dnsalias.net/ )