[ODE] Hinge based rope doesn't move

Tim Sorrells tsorrells at breakawayltd.com
Wed Aug 23 12:15:33 MST 2006

I've been trying to create a rope and keep it fairly optimized by
limiting the degrees of freedom.  I first tried using hinges since all I
really want is gravity to pull it down realistically.  With just gravity
acting on the simulation and one end attached to the world to pin it in
place, the rope (which started horizontal) never moved at all.  When I
swapped out the hinges with universal joints it fell with gravity as
expected.  But to optimize it, I really only wanted one degree of
freedom, so is there any way to get hinges to work in this situation?
BTW, the rope is 15 bodies linked together in a line.