[ODE] IMportant:- Units of dimensions & Positions

David Walters hidden.asbestos at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 21 03:42:43 MST 2006

> can anyone please urgntly tell me the units for the dimensions and positions
> etc in ODE .

Here you go:

http://opende.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/FAQ#What_units_should_I_use_with_ODE.3F

Some quotes in case that link doesn't work for you:

"Short Answer: Metric, MKS (Metre-Kilogram-Second), thus your lengths
will be expressed in meters, masses in kilograms, and timestep in
seconds."

"Longer Answer: technically, ODE doesn't use specific units. You can
use anything you wish, as long as you stay consistent with yourself.
For example, you could scale all your values by Pi, and everything
will be fine. Being consistent with yourself is what SI units *is*;
remember though that you multiply everything by pi, then your
accelleration will include a pi^2 factor. This only gets uglier as it
goes... stick with meters-kilograms-seconds "

I will add that real-world values using these units are often only
useful as a guide, and some local tweaking of masses and forces, etc.
may be required to make your simulation "feel" right.

Regards,
Dave