[ODE] Fixed stepping

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Thu Aug 17 22:04:37 MST 2006

I don't see any drawback to dWorldSetTimeStep() and dWorldWhateverStep(int
n_steps).  This would encourage, but not demand, the use of fixed timesteps.
It would break the API, but only trivially.

It could also lead to optimization opportunities -- maybe there are some
calculations that could be moved out of the step function into
dWorldSetTimeStep().

If you wanted to get really hardcore, you could even force people to declare
the time step in dWorldCreate(), which would allow it to be baked into
various object properties that don't change often.  That would make life
rough for people who actually need variable time steps, but right now, the
API makes it easy to do the wrong thing.

Is there any valid reason to support variable time steps... ever?

-- john