[ODE] Complex Body Creation

Bram Stolk bram at sara.nl
Thu Aug 10 02:50:04 MST 2006

achaudhry wrote:
> hi,
> I am trying to create a single object which comprises of 4 boxes attached in a
> fixed manner.
> to create this complex object, i am currently creating seperate boxes and then
> attaching them using Fixed joints. Is there any other method of creating this
> complex object?
>
> Also after creation, for changing the orientation etc of the complez ogject, i
> have to currently change orientation for all individual boxes, is there a way
> to group these boxes together as one single object and then perform operations
> on them as a single entity?

yes... look at ode/test/test_boxstack.cpp

What you need to do, is attach multiple geoms to a single body.
Each geom is transformed by a transformgeom.

So to make a you object, you would create:

- 1 body
- 4 box geoms
- 4 trf geoms

This is much better than fixed joints, computes much faster,
less instability, more conventient to code, etc.

    Bram

> Regards,
> Amber

Bram Stolk, VR Engineer SARA, Amsterdam.   tel +31 20 592 3000

"Windows is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit graphical shell for an 8-bit
 operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor by a 2-bit
 company that can't stand 1 bit of competition."