[ODE] Question on Torque

Wesley Smith wesley.hoke at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 14:11:31 MST 2006

Hi,
I have a quick and simple question about torques.  Let's say I have a
body at rest in ODE that I've attached with a ball joint.  If the ball
joint is setup before the simulation starts to be between (0, 4, 0)
and (0, 2, 0) with the hinge at (0, 3, 0) and I then move the a sphere
(formerly at (0, 2, 0)) to (1, 3., 0.2) to start the simulation,
should the forces of gravity and the joint constraint create cause the
sphere to oscillate?

Currently, it just goes straight to (0, 2, 0) and stays stiff.  I'm
checking the torque and it's always (0, 0, 0).  I was thinking that
the joint constraint and gravity would add toque causing the
ascillations, but I guess not.  Do people usually set their own
initial toques?

thanks,
wes