[ODE] ODE Release DLL crash

Jean-Sebastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at polymtl.ca
Thu Apr 6 19:17:51 MST 2006

Hello,

I was testing a release build today to see how much performance gain we might
get once we're done debugging, and I got a crash in ODE. I had compiled ODE in
release DLL for this build, so that everything was really in release mode. This
problem does not happen in the debug build (with ODE in debug DLL
configuration).

It happens right after a collision. Whether it's sphere - box or sphere -
trimesh I don't know, because it's always when I'm really close to the
intersection of both objects (a box and a trimesh) with a controllable object
approximated by a sphere.

Would the intersection of the box and the trimesh cause the problem? I tested in
the release build, and I never get a crash whereas in the release build I get a
crash at exactly that point every time.

The stack at the moment the problem happens :
ode_r.dll:CopyMemory(...)
ode_r.dll:IdeCore::Container::Resize(...)
ode_r.dll:IdeCore::Container::Add(...)
ode_r.dll:Opcode::SphereCollider::_CollideNoPrimitiveTest(...)
ode_r.dll:Opcode::SphereCollider::_CollideNoPrimitiveTest(...)
ode_r.dll:Opcode::SphereCollider::_CollideNoPrimitiveTest(...)
ode_r.dll:Opcode::SphereCollider::_CollideNoPrimitiveTest(...)
ode_r.dll:Opcode::SphereCollider::_CollideNoPrimitiveTest(...)
ode_r.dll:Opcode::SphereCollider::_CollideNoPrimitiveTest(...)
ode_r.dll:Opcode::SphereCollider::_CollideNoPrimitiveTest(...)
ode_r.dll:Opcode::SphereCollider::_CollideNoPrimitiveTest(...)
ode_r.dll:Opcode::SphereCollider::Collide(...)
ode_r.dll:dCollideSTL(...)
ode_r.dll:dCollide(...)
GameApp.exe:NearCallback(...)

... with the dHashSpaceCollide and dSpaceCollide etc below that.

Is there a reason why the release DLL would cause this where the debug DLL would
not? Is there anything I can do here to try and find the cause? I'm not
excluding the fact that I might be doing something that causes this problem (I
know better than that!) but how can I pinpoint the problem, this being a
release build?

Thanks in advance,

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay     jean-sebastien.guay at polymtl.ca