[ODE] branches, release, etc

Bram Stolk bram at sara.nl
Tue Apr 4 12:53:28 MST 2006

Terry L. Triplett wrote:

> I would concur.  As a maintainer of .NET ODE bindings, the fewer
> possible permutations of features in the library the better.  If a
> feature is stable and generally used by everyone anyway, it should be
> active by default.

It is active by default for autotools builds, there is just a question
on wether it should be optional (read: possiblity to disable)

I think it's good to have a disable option.
It is a separate lib, it is large, it doubles the compilation time,
and it is of no use of someone who just wants to simulate some
boxes and spheres.

Also, a point I tried to make:

autoconf has the notion of --with-package/--without-package
and --enable-feature/--disable-feature.
For boolean inclusion/exclusion the latter makes more sense.
--with-xxx is used when specifying a path makes sense.

E.g.:
./configure --with-opcode=/usr/local/opcode-2.0 would make sense
as would:
./configure --enable-double-precision

'./configure --with-double-precision' is not really the
GNU way, I think, but that's what we've been using lately.

   bram