[ODE] Soname for 0.6

Terry L. Triplett c0d3g33k at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 4 09:11:57 MST 2006

Hi all,

I noticed while setting up the ODE 0.6 branch on my (Linux) machine that the
build produces a shared library without a proper soname.  I don't know how
stable the ODE ABI is, but now that the project is working towards a new
release and considering a 1.0 release, I thought I would point this out.

I can't find the thread in the list archives any longer, but around January
2005, Guus Sliepen, the Debian ODE maintainer at the time, got permission
from Russ Smith to use 'libode.so.0' for the shared library - he mentions
this in the following Debian bug report:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=286937 (Search for 'Russ'
to dig out the appropriate messages).  Could I suggest this soname be
officially adopted for the shared library in 0.6?   Or if the API has
changed enough from 0.5, maybe bump this up to libode.so.1?

Thanks,

Terry L. Triplett
Tao.Ode (http://mono-project.com/Tao)
OdeDotNet (http://odedotnet.sf.net)