[ODE] branches, release, etc

Tanguy Fautre tanguy.fautre at spaceapplications.com
Tue Apr 4 08:53:46 MST 2006

Bram Stolk wrote:
> Tanguy Fautre wrote:
>
>> The thing is, that the double compilation problem has only been fixed
>> on trunk. And the x86_64 fix depends on it.
>>
>> So it's two fixes that need to be included in 0.6.
>
> Errr... I also did some fixes that are in trunk only.
> Sorry for that.
>
> I don't completely understand this branching thing yet...
> I understood the need for the new_build branch somewhat, as you
> wanted to test premake stuff without interfering with other stuff.
>
> But what was the rationale again for having 0.6 separate from trunk?
>
> Could we sync once more, and then agree to work on one branch only?
>
> I really think that our efforts are paying off, and 0.6 will be
> much better than 0.5. Let's focus on the remaining important
> loose ends, and put out a release candidate followed by a release
> with tarballs, precompiled stuff and a spiff looking documentation
> website.
>
> Some random remarks:
>
> - We should be starting to think about release notes,
>   it is important to list the improvements that users can expect
>   over the old release.
> - We should fix the INSTALL file: Premake should be explained
>   here along autoconf. I'll update the automake explanation.
> - Our use of --with-xxx is not completely correct, as --enable-xxx
>   is what we are actually doing.
> - I've done doxygen documentation for support (drawstuff).
>   Is this looking OK? If so, how to do the rest of ode
>   reference doc? Put the doc strings in .h or in .cpp ?
> - Shouldn't premake move out of contrib/ and into the root?
>
> Thanks!

I agree with Bram that we should maybe re-sync the 0.6 branch with trunk.

However, before doing so, it may be a good idea to freeze the trunk
(like GCC does) until we have the features for 0.6 ready.

For example, we know we are going to remove the old makefile system. Why
not remove it from trunk before creating the 0.6 branch? etc.

I think we should only "create/sync" the 0.6 branch when all needed
features (doc included) have been added to trunk. And then, make the 0.6
really a bug-fix-only branch. This should reduce the hassle of
maintaining two branches.

Tanguy