[ODE] Still Spheres Vs Trimesh at Triangle Edges

Jaroslav Sinecky sinecky at telefonica.net
Mon Apr 3 09:53:57 MST 2006

There is really an issue with contact depth in trimesh_sphere. There was a
change in depth calculation couple months ago. I didn't find it very good
because it introduced discontinuities. Now I have tried the svn trunk
version and found there was also a real bug introduced by this change (quite
difficutl to see at first glance but "side" value isn't actually distance of
sphere and triangle plane).
So I changed it to following: depth is calculated as triangle-sphere
penetration depth projected to triangle (=contact) normal. This is still
just aproximation but I find it better than previous two implementations.
Also reorganized a bit the code to pull out duplicate calculations. Checked
in svn trunk.

Still, you will get some oscilations when running over mesh edges (I get
them too, but they don't have noticable negative effect). This is because of
close contacts generated - one from each triangle, so implementing some
contacts postprocessing as suggested by Geoff is a good idea.

Also, if we implement the trimesh preprocessing for sphere collisions, it
could help a lot because all concave edges or edges between co-planar
triangles would be skipped from collisions (so for example rolling over
planar mesh should be as smooth as rolling over plane).

The last thing ... you could also play with #define MERGECONTACTS (at the
beginning of collision_trimesh_sphere.cpp). For me it works better to have
it turned off. In fact I  think it could be turned off by default because
both our test cases (test_trimesh and test_moving_trimesh) and most of real
world cases work better like that. With this merge turned on, if you drop
sphere in test_trimesh, it last ages to get still and also a sphere behind
bunny's ears has hard time finding stable position with one contact only.

Hope this helps,
Jaroslav