[ODE] Problems with CVS/Unstable

Tanguy Fautre tanguy.fautre at spaceapplications.com
Thu Sep 29 10:48:08 MST 2005

Peter Kyme wrote:
> I've just been trying to update my code to work with ODE unstable from
> CVS, from using a patched version of ODE 0.5. I've encountered the
> following problems.
>
> - The new dRandInt seems to cause stability problems in certain
> situations. I've specifically noticed a problem where an aMotor attached
> to a ball joint will become extremely unstable when a high value for max
> force is given. This problem disappears entirely if I revert dRandInt to
> the old version.

The dRandInt in the UNSTABLE branch is broken and should be replaced by
the new one already in the STABLE branch.

This is something that has been on my todo list for months, but never
had the time to (this is not the only patch that has been applied to
STABLE but not UNSTABLE).

It is probable that within a month I'll need to work back on ODE source
because of the project I'm working on. So if you can wait...

> - The dEpsilon configurator.c patch applied a couple of months ago was
> applied to MAIN, but not UNSTABLE where it's needed..

As Rodrigo already pointed out, try the autoconf. The configurator.c
method in UNSTABLE is being deprecated (not officially though, but due
to the lack of time to maintain both build systems).

> - In amotorSetEulerReferenceVectors, joint.cpp:2378, a line is commented
> out that checks if the aMotor has an associated body. This means you get
> a segfault if you do a dJointSetAMotorMode before attaching the joint to
>  a body/bodies.

As far as I understand, in ODE it's however illegal to set up joint
parameters before the joint is attached to its bodies. Can anyone
confirm this?

If so, then it's probably better to get a segfault than a silent error.

Tanguy