[ODE] Scientific modelling of a runner

Marcus Brubaker aurelius.marcus at rogers.com
Fri Sep 23 12:18:26 MST 2005

jnilson_99 at yahoo.com wrote:

>Hi Martin,

Close, but no cigar :)

>The both videos represent a visually valid bipedal
>motion. The first is a motion capture sequence, the
>second is based on a motion capture sequence. To this
>I ask, "Has Shakespeares plays been written by
>Shakespeare or a man calling himself Shakespeare?".

Huh?  The videos on the linked page are from a paper which infers the
forces necessary for motion based off of motion capture data.  (It then
goes on to try to create a model for these forces and uses that to
create new animations.)  I never claimed they had anything to do with
understanding walking or other bipedal motion.  It was only mentioned as
it solved the problem that Martin was asking about.

If you scroll up from that paragraph though, you will however find a
reference to a natural looking bipedal controller:  the thesis by Jerry
Pratt.

Regards,
Marcus