[ODE] constant angle and linear velocity > 0

Megan Fox shalinor at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 09:37:35 MST 2005

Well, anything is possible - you could simply grab the present angular
velocity and calculate the precise amount of force required to bring
it up to desired angular velocity in a single frame.

"However"

What you're talking about is introducing effectively unlimited energy
into the system.  If you were trying to turn into a brick wall, for
instance, and your shoulder was preventing it, your system would just
input HUGE amounts of force attempting to overcome that solid barrier.

You can create a system by hand to apply up to a maximum allowable
acceleration per frame, if you like, but this sort of thing should be
easily handled by an AMotor.  The point, though, is that it won't be a
"hard" constraint - the player will take time to turn, and can be
prevented from turning if turning in place would be physically
impossible (or if there's just a heavy box in the way, for that
matter).

On 9/20/05, 3emeType <3emetype at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a ragdoll. I want to control its movements by the torso. So imagine
> we have the 4 arrow keys to control the linear velocity of the torso. Easy.
> But there is also the angular velocity. The difficulty is I want to have a
> constant angle between the torso and the static environment, until I press a
> key to increase or decrease that angle. Is it possible to have that while
> the torso (and the other bodies connected to him) is translating ?

-Megan Fox
Lead Developer, Elium Project
http://www.elium.tk