[ODE] How to Avoid Walls when using 4 spheres and box for a Car

Megan Fox shalinor at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 10:07:36 MST 2005

Manually ;)

It ends up being faster, and can often produce better results than
physical cars, but it's a lot more work as you can't just depend on
pre-made parts of the physics engine doing it for you.

Off the top of my head, you end up handling:

1.) Road/wheel friction
2.) The physics of turning (related to 1)
3.) Spring/dampener systems for the rays (which act as your suspension)
4.) What to do in case of ray vs physical object collisions

... and there are a lot of other wiggly details that you never think
about until you find yourself staring them down.

They end up being most of the same problems you run into when
attempting to make a "lollipop" style character model (character body
floating over terrain through the aid of a repulsing ray pointed
downwards), if you happen to need that as well.