[ODE] discontinuities/accuracy of integration

Marc Toussaint mtoussai at inf.ed.ac.uk
Fri Sep 16 21:39:33 MST 2005

Hi there!

I'm using ODE in a scientific context, simulating robots to test machine
learning techniques. Actually the accuracy of the physical integration is
not critical for this application -- as long as the data collected from
the simulation is smooth.

However, ODE quite often produces discontinuities in joint velocities,
especially if there are substantial torques applying on the joints.
Consequently, the accelerations that I monitor for the system become
unrealistic.

I figured that the origin of such discontinuities might be how ODE
realizes joint error reduction. (There are NO collisions/contacts in my
scenario.) I tried playing around with ERP and CFM setting for different
joints, but it seemed to me that (1) also for an optimal setting I
couldn't get rid of the discontinuities completely, (2) finding an optimal
setting (which is different for each joint, depending on the attached
loads) is itself a hard problem.

Q1: Can you confirm that the joint error correction mechanisms is most
likely the origin of such discontinuities?

Q2: Is there a way to access the ``internal error-reducing forces'' (or
whathever other mechanisms there is) in an accurate quantitive way?

Q3: Is there a principled way to get rid of the discontinuities (other
than playing around with ERP and CFM parameters)?

Q4: Is there a chance that the core of ODE (the physical integration
engine) can be replaced/modified such that hard constraints are fulfilled
exactly? E.g., could one easily replace the engine by a DAS solver like
DASPK?

Thanks!
Marc.

--