[ODE] Kinematic objects

Geoff Carlton gcarlton at iinet.net.au
Mon Oct 31 09:26:19 MST 2005

Piotr Obrzut wrote:

>2) use last and next position (and time delta between them) of
>non-dynamic object to get respective velocity change
>(accelaration in result)

I don't think using an ODE body is the way to go here.  To affect other
"real" bodies, just create collisions with the world (against a null body).

You don't need to simulate the accelaration of a kinematic body, just
its instanteous velocity at each contact point.  These can then be
translated into components for the contact joint parameters: motion1,
motion2 and motionN.

You may have to add support for motionN, it has been mentioned
previously in the list, and its a fairly simple addition to the contact
joint.

I've simulated things like pendulums, swings, and lifts, and they work
fine in collisions with real bodies.  Its ideal for situations where you
having a moving object that interacts with the rest of ODE but is not
affected itself.

Geoff