[ODE] Kinematic objects

Jaroslav Sinecky jsinecky at tiscali.cz
Fri Oct 28 15:06:05 MST 2005

> 2) Calculate the needed physical parameters (linear velocity, ...) from
> data given in the kinetic body (mass, ...) and from the velocity (delta
> of positions)

Hi,
really the step 2 seems a problem. I don't understand it very well, you
should compute needed velocity from given kinematic body mass...? What more
is there where the 3 points in the brackets?
If you want the racket to follow prescribed way and you would simulate it as
a body with normal racket mass, you would have to figure out forces powering
the racket against the ball to move it to desired position during next ODE
step, which I see as a difficult inverse dynamics task (at least in general
case). And I suppose you don't want to model the skeleto-muscular system of
tennis player.

If we talk about the same - kinematic body with given authoritative motion,
smashing everything out of its way - I still think the simple concept of
moving geoms around could possibly work: you're right that you will miss
notion of velocity in normal direction at contact point (let's suppose
dContactMotion can do for tangent directions) but we could hope that contact
depth depenetration in each step will do the job, although... yeah...
probably less stable than with contact between 2 moving bodies. I imagine
the racket pushing the ball in front of it by means of depenetration,
abandoning it at some point and the ball continuing with the inertia given
to it during contact. You would need really small time step probably here.
You can even have feedback information from contact joint feedbacks.

Another way could be to model the racket as a body with really big mass, so
it just moves as a tank and correcting it's position/velocity at each step.
Or more precisly adding external force+torque so the body approaches the
desired state for the next step itself.
Then maybe once the ODE step is done, and you know all joint forces, you
could do some calculation to figure out more realistic feedback for the
kinematic body ie. what forces had the tennis player apply to racket (with
real racket mass) to make it follow its way. Ehm, I'm not sure, that's to
much to think for me at the moment.

BTW. Really heavy object meeting a light tennis ball at high velocity is not
like an ODE-friendly case, right?

Jaroslav