[ODE] ODE BUG

Michael Lacher michael.lacher at hlw.co.at
Fri Oct 21 11:20:11 MST 2005

The difference in the formula is a figment from using implicit
integeration in ODE.

[cite: taken from http://q12.org/pipermail/ode/2003-October/010154.html]
Explicit:
     X(t0+h) = X(t0)+h*dX(t0)/dt

Implicit:
     X(t0+h) = X(t0)+h*dX(t0+h)/dt

[/cite]

dX(t0)/dt == v0
dX(t0+h)/dt == v1 == v0 + a*h

Therefore

X(t0+h) = X(t0)+h*(v0 + a*h) = X(t0)+h*v0 + a*h*h

This is exactly what ODE implements. So the formula is indeed "correct"
in the sense that it correctly implements implicit integration, which
favors stability over accuracy.

regards,
Michael