[ODE] rotation matrices

Doron Tal dtal at email.arc.nasa.gov
Sat Oct 15 14:30:46 MST 2005

Hi,

Do not use angular velocity.  Use only the body's
translation and rotation in world frame, given by the ODE
access functions, and the point's translation relative to
the body, which is assumed fixed.

If your system is of points only (no lines, planes or volumes),
then:

For each point, you need to know its translation relative to
the body, T_pb = (x, y, z) -- this value is fixed, assuming that
the points do not change in time with respect to the body.  The
notation 'T_pb' above is meant to show that you're dealing with
the translation of point 'p' relative to body 'b'.

At each timestep, grab the body's world-frame (inertial frame)
rotation and translation {R_bw, T_bw}, using the ODE functions
dBodyGetPosition/Rotation().  Now loop over all points of your
system and for each point, compute the new point's location in
the world as:

T_pw = R_bw*T_pb + T_bw

which is one matrix-vector multiplication and one vector-vector
addition.

-Doron

ps. a good reference on all this stuff is Pennec's IJCV
article around 2002-3 (this should be sufficient info to look
it up)