[ODE] Proper ragdoll disabling - what should be checked before disabling the "island"?

Megan Fox shalinor at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 15:07:14 MST 2005

My confusion is this... seemingly, the way to detect a ragdoll disable
is to detect if all limbs fall below a certain threshold value for
angular and linear velocity - if they do, and they remain that way for
X ticks, then you disable the ragdoll.

Isn't this exactly what the auto-disable code would already do,
though?  Check all the limbs (along with everything else), and as the
limbs fall below the threshold value, disable them?

The only seeming difference is that, with auto-disable, the limbs
could be disabled on a per-limb basis - with island disabling, either
you disable the entire island or none at all.  If you already have
twitching limbs, this would only seem to encourage the -entire- body
to stay enabled and twitchy (since that one twitching limb would never
allow the rest to sleep).

... so, I'm assuming that I'm simply misunderstanding the concept of
island disabling?

--
-Megan Fox
Lead Developer, Elium Project