[ODE] Re: debugging

Brian Chapman brian-chapman at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 1 15:15:26 MST 2005

I think the problem is one of logistics. GDB has been ported to a huge
number of platforms. What GUI library are you going to use that can
span all of these in the same ease that GDB now currently exhibits?
GTK? Qt? Ugly Bare X11?

However, I think the design of GDB is quite clear. "There shall be no
design of a GUI and it will run on a dumb terminal and the GUI shall be
left to other projects." And other projects there have been. DDD and
Insight are quite popular GUI solutions that fulfill nearly, if not
all, of the rant's requirements. Let us not also forget that GDB is the
debugging core of Xcode, Apple's premier integrated development
environment for Mac OS X. Xcode certainly works just as smoothly on the
Mac as MSVC's debugging process works on Windows. I can say that
because I have used both personally.

I'm afraid the argument to accuse GDB as being obsolete or unusable for
serious development simply because it does not "ship" with a GUI is
simply not sound. A GUI is simply not in GDB's job description and
never will be. It has always been the development model of open source
software to develop one tool for one job and do it well and leave the
other tools to other people. The GUI was left to other people and I
think they have done well.

If that were not the case then I think the rant would otherwise be
quite valid.

Thanks,
Brian