[ODE] systems flying apart at high angular velocities

Gopi Prashanth gprashanth at Heavy-Iron.com
Wed May 25 10:33:05 MST 2005

I had the same problem. ODE solver works in a way that makes the angular
velocities diverge and without capping the angular velocity and
simultaneously damping it there is every possibility of a whole blow up. I
fixed this by doing it and worked fine after that. I did it in the
dxStepBody routine and it is not a huge expense.

Cheers,
Gopi

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary R. Van Sickle [mailto:g.r.vansickle at worldnet.att.net]
Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 11:06 PM
To: 'ODE Mailing List'
Subject: RE: [ODE] systems flying apart at high angular velocities

Sounds like a class-action suit waiting to happen. ;-)

>  Is there any sensible way to keep a system
> from flying apart under high velocities?
>  Thanks.
>
> - Graham Fyffe

By explicitly constraining total system energy.  Somebody (sry, forget who,
it's in the list archives) has done this on top of ODE for freely-spinning
rigid bodies to keep them from infinitely "revving up" and detonating, but
not yet in the general case AFAIK.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle