[ODE] Freely rotating wheel?

Diana Harsh di at pringo.com
Wed May 25 06:57:08 MST 2005

Hi,

New to ode here.

I'm trying to simulate a vehicle which has two driven wheels (left and
right) balanced by a third, freely rotating, dolly wheel to the rear. The
two driven wheels seem to work fine using hinge-2 joints. However I can't
seem to set the dolly wheel to rotate freely. The simulation looks like it
is dragging the wheel and this causes the trajectory to waffle all over the
place, eventually fliping the vehicle.

For the dolly wheel I have used a hinge-2 joint. I have set the dParamHiStop
and dParamLoStop to infinity (so there is no limit to their DOF on the two
axis). I think the problem may be with the dParamFMax value. If I set it to
0, it seems to definitely drag the wheel. If I set it to a large value, it
works but continues to upset the trajectory.

Any suggestions to make it rotate freely? Is this even my problem?

Thanks in advance,
James