[ODE] Rope simulation

Erin Catto erincatto at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 24 23:00:03 MST 2005

I have created a particle system that uses a similar constraint solver as
ODE and I have it stable at 25 nodes for a rope. Here are some tweaks that
should help:

1. CFM doesn't help, set it to zero.
2. Reduce ERP, try 0.05 or 0.1
3. Make the links heavier as you approach the fixed end. For example, say
the rooted link is link 0, then use the rule: mass_i = 1.2*mass_i+1
4. Since you are using rigid bodies, not particles, you should ensure that
the inertia tensor is not too "skinny". Increase the axial inertia of the
links as needed.

Erin