[ODE] Rope simulation

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Tue May 24 10:06:31 MST 2005

If you add inertial dampening (especially counter-torque) each timestep,
it'll be much more stable. This is to simulate the internal friction of
the rope.

At its simplest, you can express it something like:

dReal avDamp = -0.05f;
dReal lvDamp = -0.02f;
dReal const * dr = dBodyGetAngularVel( ropePiece );
dBodyAddTorque( ropePiece, dr[0]*avDamp, dr[1]*avDamp, dr[2]*avDamp );
dr = dBodyGetLinearVel( ropePiece );
dBodyAddForce( ropePiece, dr[0]*lvDamp, dr[1]*lvDamp, dr[2]*lvDamp );

Cheers,

			/ h+